The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture on behalf of HarvestPlus seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at its country office in Ibadan:
Job Title: Communication Assistant
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (1-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
Communication and Event Support:
- Participate producing various communication materials including brochures, flyers, posters, articles, news stories and technical reports on HarvestPlus activities in Nigeria;
- Support the development and packaging, print/web/audiovisual/multimedia materials in a variety of formats for donors, and policy makers as well as farmers, processors and marketers;
- Monitor stories in the print and news media that cite HarvestPlus activities;
- Provide communication support and documentation for all project activities;
- Co-facilitate the dissemination of farmer- friendly information on HarvestPlus project activities through features writing, press releases, field days, radio programs and television;
- Assist in producing unique photography and video coverage for HarvestPlus events/occasion;
- Support the production of training videos, conducting informative interviews and testimonials aim at promoting HarvestPlus Interventions in Nigeria.
- Develop and design concepts, graphics and layouts for HarvestPlus communication materials (Brochures, pamphlets, flyers, banners, etc);
- Maintain brand consistency throughout all HarvestPlus communication materials;
- Generate creative ideas and develop new design concepts, graphics and layouts;
- Review all publications and designs materials for errors before printing;
- Work with all HarvestPlus investors and partners to achieve product branding and packaging standards;
Social Media and Website management:
- Create and upload engaging social media content using graphics and illustrations to increase awareness and sensitization of stakeholders;
- Manage all exclusive photographs and video content for HarvestPlus social media platforms;
- Monitor all social media conversations, mentions, and other activities and provide feedback to questions and comments;
- Collect and share feedback from social media channels with relevant unit;
- Assist in updating information on HarvestPlus website;
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- B.Sc/HND in Agricultural Extension, Mass Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, or related field with minimum of three (3) years’ experience performing same role.
- Expert use of graphic design software – Adobe Suite, CorelDraw etc; Microsoft Office Applications – Word, PowerPoint, Outlook applications; Cloud data storage tools – Google drive, DropBox, OneDrive.
- Adept at using major social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Good skills in writing, editing and proofreading, concept and brand creation
- High degree of motivation, initiative, independence, reliability, adaptability, and professional maturity.
- Good command of English – possess excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, presentation, client management, social skills.
Application Closing Date
23rd July, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.