Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Agro Economist Advisor
Oxfam Purpose: To work with others to overcome poverty and suffering
Reporting :This position will report to the Project Manager based in Bauchi
Duration: One Year (Fixedterm)
- To ensure market driven agricultural value chain interventions are effectively implemented in Bauchi to improve the livelihoods of 10,000 poor women and men farmers in Bauchi State Nigeria
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 independent aid development organizations together to fight poverty and injustice around the world Working with partners and local communities in more than 90 countries the mission of Oxfam is a just world without networked poverty With a conviction that people are well capable of building a life devoid of poverty on their own once given the chance to do so Oxfam works with partners on projects in developing countries lobbies companies and governments to consider the interests of the poorest people and Justice/Female Leadership and Good Governance adopting a right-based approach The overarching goal is to enable people to exercise their rights and manage their own lives
Oxfam in Nigeria with support from Global affairs Canada (GAC) is implementing a five year Livelihoods and Nutrition Empowerment (LINE) project in Bauchi State The project is aimed at improving the livelihoods for 10000 poor and vulnerable households through increased farm productivity enhanced market access better nutrition and a more enabling environment for business development in 6 LGAS in Bauchi State.
- Coordinate development and implementation of activities of the LINE project
- Conduct Value Chain Analysis and packaging interventions to address critical gaps associated with targeted commodities.
- Design a draft Project Implementation Manual to guide implementation on the key value chains including the crops specific Packages of Practice (POPs). Develop, manage and implement selected value chain Activity Plans for the LINE project.
- Ensure the baseline carried out is comprehensive enough to generate quality data needed for the implementation of market based agricultural livelihoods component of the LINE project.
- Work with the LINE team to ensure quality planning and implementation is carried out within the framework of the project. To realize this, organise and lead project planning meetings and develop annual work plans for the implementation of the project in collaboration with the project team.
- Coordinate systematic appraisal, assessment and implementation of project plans of selected project partners according to agreed results with the Project Manager.
- Assist the Project Manager in recruiting and managing private consultants for specific short-term assignments including facilitating the development of their work plans, monitor their fieldwork and organise debriefing sessions with the consultants.
- Manage relations with project partners and key relevant stakeholders for effective project delivery.
- Organise and support business development training and services to partner staff involved in the implementation of project activities around bulking of commodities.
- Provide professional mentoring and counselling advisory services to partners on developing and implementing Business Plans with project beneficiaries.
- Work with Business Associations and Village Savings and Loans groups formed to enhance group governance capacity and decision-making including facilitation of rural micro-financial services to the target LINE project beneficiaries.
- Maintain effective communication on progress of project implementation with a wide range of people including relevant stakeholders within the project locations, Project Implementation Unit and Oxfam programme team in consultation with the Project Manager.
- Support Project Coordination and ensuring project learning is documented for communication within the project locations, the wider Oxfam confederation and to the donor with regard to Business Development as well as Village Savings and Loans.
- Produce activity reports related to project development, partner and beneficiary training, and support to project groups including activities implemented directly.
- Carry out periodic monitoring visits to project partners and project implementation sites and verify outputs indicated in progress report submitted to Oxfam by partners.
- Participate in the process of annual impact assessment for the project and participate in other similar processes on the project as advised.
- Support the Project Manager in preparing donor reports as well as reports for wider circulation within Oxfam.
- Minimum of M.Sc degree in Agriculture, Social Science, Economics or any other related field.
- Minimum of ten years working experience in managing development programmes - preferably within the NGOs sector.
- Demonstrable skills in Business development, Private Sector integration into rural livelihoods initiatives and/or microfinance development and management especially the Village Savings and Loans schemes.
- Must possess at least four years field experience in community development, working with community groups and community associations, particularly women groups in Northern Nigeria.
- Good understanding of diversity and gender equity.
- Commitment to development principles of aid effectiveness and alignment with the values, aims and objectives of Oxfam.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, initiative, strong initiative, and proven capacity to get the job done. Ability to work independently and under minimum supervision.
- Excellent computer skills particularly in working with word processing, excel, PowerPoint, databases and electronic communication.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and at least two of the Northern languages.
13th November, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Letter and CV as one attachment to: email@example.com with the position title as the subject of the email.
Note: Only applications in the required format will be considered.
Source: Hot Nigerian Jobs